Epsom salt is hailed as a natural remedy for many ailments. It is a compound of magnesium and sulfate, both of which are easily absorbed through the skin. The magnesium reduces inflammation and improves nerve and muscle function, while the sulfates aid in nutrient absorption and toxin flushing. It soothes aches and pains, heals cuts, brings relief from colds and congestion, and detoxifies the body. The easiest way to reap the overall health benefits of Epsom salt is to pour some in a tub of hot water and soak in it.
Not only does Epsom salt have an abundance of health benefits, but it also has many household and gardening uses. Here are a few things you may not have known you can do with Epsom salt:
• Use it to make your lawn greener. The magnesium and iron in Epsom salt will increase the greenness of your yard. Just add 2 or 3 tablespoons to a gallon of water and spray on your lawn. Follow with a thorough watering with just plain water to help the salt soak in.
• Fertilize your garden. Add a little Epsom salt to your tomatoes, roses, trees, or houseplants each week. Use about a tablespoon for each foot of height. This works especially well on tomatoes.
• Get rid of slugs. Sprinkle Epsom salt around your doorstep, deck, sidewalk, or other areas where you find slugs. This will solve that slimy problem quickly.
• Keep raccoons and other pests away. Spread a light dusting of Epsom salt around trash cans or any other area you want to protect. You can even use it when you are camping to keep critters from raiding your camping area. Animals don’t like the taste or smell of it, so they will steer clear. You will need to reapply Epsom salt each time it rains.
• Get a sparkling clean home. Mix Epsom salt with liquid dish soap in equal parts and get busy. The Epsom salt and the soap combine to form a power duo that scours and dissolves mildew, grime, and scum.
Epsom salt is good to always have on hand. In addition to the numerous health benefits it offers, it has many great uses for your home as well. By keeping a supply of Epsom salt your cabinet, you will always have it ready when you need it whether it be for aches and pains or slugs and raccoons.